Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Rewind

I received an sms from one of my friends earlier this week. He told me that he wished we could be children again. I replied that he echoed my sentiments exactly ..

Then, with the phone still in my hand, I started thinking.

Both of us are thirty-something now. Imagine that same sms in say twenty-odd years time. When we wished we could be in our thirties again.

Hmm.

But we are in our thirties NOW. So we owe it to ourselves to make the most of NOW, because we tend to forget that what we make of the present will be the things that we long for in twenty years time.

Playing_in_the_spray (350 x 527)

We are busy writing the stories now that we are going to reminisce about in a few years time. Then today will belong to all the other yesterdays gone by: yesterdays too far out of our reach.

‘One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering.’



Carpe Diem .. yes I know. It has become a cliché. Or has it? Aren’t wé the ones turning a deaf ear to the promise those two words hold? The words haven’t changed .. so why should its meaning?

I clearly remember .. one day during my final year at school, all the matric girls had to wear silk stockings to school. Any colour or shape or pattern.

Although I can’t recall the detail with which I decorated mine, I remember that I wore dark black stockings and that I wrote one word with white correction fluid on each calf: Carpe Diem.

And I wanted to change the world.

I guess I must’ve forgotten .. that change begins with oneself. Time .. I can write chapters about time. About every single dimension of time.

And how we have too little of it.

We have now. Each and every one of us breathing .. we have now. Question is: what are we going to do with it?

Ek is dankbaar die kinders in ons het mekaar gevind.

No comments:

Post a Comment